Wednesday, March 11, 2009

To Marathon Or Not To Marathon

I'm a runner. I've always enjoyed it, but really turned it into one of my favorite past times within the past 3 years. I have one full and one half marathon under my belt.

I approached my marathons backwards, meaning, most people run a half first and then a full. I decided to go all out and do the 26.2 miles with no real race experience.

I can tell you, I honestly could not walk up stairs for two days and could barely walk the three blocks to my car after the race. My friend who carried me, can back that up. Needless to say, I vowed never to run another full marathon again. I was told I would change my mind and I laughed in their face.

Oh how those words have come back to haunt me. Here I am two years later, committing myself to another full. At least, until I saw the elevation chart. You see, the race I typically run, Grandma's in MN, is fairly flat. At least until mile 20 and there's one large hill, but it's fine. I like to think of myself as Lance Armstrong. That's where I make up my time. I digress....

This new race I signed up for, the Twin Cities Marathon, is a killer from what I hear. Hill after hill, I just don't know. Being unprepared for a marathon takes away any enjoyment or sense of accomplishment you get from that run. Also, I can't train on this course, which will make that run even harder. Louisiana just doesn't offer the running paths you really need to train (if I'm mistaken, please let me know!).

So here I am, wanting to get another race under my belt, but thinking, this just might have to be a half marathon year.
I probably have 3 weeks to decide, which I fully intend to do while sitting on my couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment