Thursday, April 30, 2009

Quidditch At LSU

I've never read a Harry Potter book, but I've seen the movies and really liked all of them. I get why people are fanatics about the series. JK Rowling wrote a great story line.

On that note, I know there are fans that have seen the movies 20 times and own all the Harry Potter lunch boxes, action figures, you name it. But never did I think that I'd run into a story quite like the one I covered last weekend.

There is a quidditch team at LSU! Apparently, this is becoming a popular collegiate sport.

Before you judge, I can say, this is not a sport for the weak at heart. I'd call it a combination of rugby, hide and seek, and in a weird way... basketball.

For anyone who's played rugby, its probably the most physical sport. It's football with no pads. I played rugby in college and had my share of bumps and bruises. But quidditch takes it up a notch. The reason...they run around with brooms between their legs!

Imagine having someone twice your size, running at you full speed, ready to cream you. Oh yeah, and there's this broom you're both carrying. It could....I don't know jab you in the rib, break off on your leg, or heaven forbid poke you in the eye! It's intense.

I know you're all dying to see what this looks like. Check it out at http://www.nbc33tv.com/news/quidditch-lsu or just go to the LSU pitch on the weekends. It really is a riot to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment